Italy: The amazing Santuario Madonna della Corona church is built into the side of a cliff

Pictured: The amazing Italian church built on the side of a mountain 2,500ft up… that just about appears prefer it’s suspended in mid-air

  • Santuario Madonna della Corona is built on a shelf of rock on Mount Baldo above the valley of the River Adige
  • The gorgeous location has been used as a place for quiet contemplation and prayer for the previous 1,000 years 
  • In 1982, it was declared a ‘minor basilica’ of Italy and in 1988, Pope John Paul II paid a go to to the church  

Advertisement










Just heavenly. 

This amazing Italian church sits 2,539ft (774 metres) above sea stage and is built into the side of a cliff.

And as these photos present, it nearly appears prefer it is suspended in mid-air – the Avatar of chapels.

The Santuario Madonna della Corona (or Sanctuary of the Lady of the Crown), which is built into the side of Mount Baldo

The Santuario Madonna della Corona (or Sanctuary of the Lady of the Crown), which is built into the side of Mount Baldo

It is a popular place for pilgrims who are drawn to the church by its stunning views and the art it has on display

 It is a in style place for pilgrims who’re drawn to the church by its gorgeous views and the artwork it has on show

The beautiful church is perched on a thin shelf of cliffside rock that is 2,539ft (774 metres) above sea level

The stunning church is perched on a skinny shelf of cliffside rock that is 2,539ft (774 metres) above sea stage

Called the Santuario Madonna della Corona (or Sanctuary of the Lady of the Crown), it is built on a skinny shelf of rock on Mount Baldo above the valley of the River Adige, near Lake Garda. 

It is a in style place for pilgrims who’re drawn in by its gorgeous views, sculptures and reproduction of the Scala Santa – the stairs that Jesus is stated to have walked up in Pilate’s palace earlier than his crucifixion.

The historical past of Santuario Madonna della Corona dates again over 1,000 years, the website initially being a hermitage the place monks linked to the Abbey of St Zeno in Verona would journey to for silent contemplation.

According to the church’s website, by the second half of the thirteenth century, there was a monastery on the website with a chapel devoted to St Mary of Montebaldo.

The site of the church was originally a hermitage, where monks linked to the Abbey of St Zeno in Verona would gather for silent contemplation

The website of the church was initially a hermitage, the place monks linked to the Abbey of St Zeno in Verona would collect for silent contemplation

The church's current Gothic facade was added to the building in 1899. It has undergone many renovations and restorations

The church’s present Gothic facade was added to the constructing in 1899. It has undergone many renovations and restorations 

The church's website explains: 'This place is ideal for those who want to combine moments of prayer and inner peace with opportunities to relax and enjoy the silence that nature can offer in this lovely place'

The church’s web site explains: ‘This place is excellent for individuals who need to mix moments of prayer and interior peace with alternatives to chill out and luxuriate in the silence that nature can provide on this pretty place’

Inside the Santuario Madonna della Corona.  In 1982, it was declared a 'minor basilica' of Italy and Pope John Paul II paid a visit to it in 1988

Inside the Santuario Madonna della Corona.  In 1982, it was declared a ‘minor basilica’ of Italy and Pope John Paul II paid a go to to it in 1988

But it wasn’t till 1530 that the earliest construction of the current church was inaugurated – though worshippers needed to navigate a tiny cliffside passage to achieve it. Two units of entry steps had been later built, together with a bridge so guests now not needed to cross the river.

In 1625 an excellent greater church was built 13ft above the current constructing and in 1899 the present Gothic facade was added.

The church complicated survived into the twentieth century and in the Seventies it underwent a full restoration.

Pilgrims can reach the church by hiking for two hours up a path that starts in the nearby town of Brentino

Pilgrims can attain the church by mountain climbing for 2 hours up a path that begins in the close by city of Brentino

In 1982, it was declared a ‘minor basilica’ of Italy and Pope John Paul II paid a go to to it in 1988.

Today, pilgrims can attain Santuario Madonna della Corona by both following a two-hour mountain climbing path from the city of Brentino or they will drive to the city of Spiazzi and stroll up the one-kilometre street to the church. The street options 14 bronze statues representing the Stations of the Cross. There is additionally a shuttle bus that runs to the church from Spiazzi on the identical street.

The church’s web site explains: ‘This place is excellent for individuals who need to mix moments of prayer and interior peace with alternatives to chill out and luxuriate in the silence that nature can provide on this pretty place.’

Advertisement